Notice your hair falling out abruptly? You could be experiencing hair loss, also called alopecia. Hair loss has multiple causes and can affect either the scalp or the entire body. Although the hair grows back in most of the hair loss cases unless your hair follicle is damaged, preventing it is wiser.
Below are some tips mentioned on how you can prevent hair loss and maintain happy and healthy hair. Shedding a few strands of hair daily is common and okay, but if you experience excessive hair shedding and suspect you’re experiencing hair loss, you can contact an expert at austin hair loss to schedule an appointment today.
Tips on how to prevent hair loss
- Maintaining a diet
Going on a diet with foods that your hair follicles need to be healthy can help prevent alopecia.
- Mediterranean diet: The Mediterranean diet came from the traditional food and eating habits of people from southern Italy, southern Spain, and Crete. It involves plant-based foods focused on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. A study from 2018 showed that following a Mediterranean diet helped in reducing the risk of alopecia.
- Taking vitamins: Eating foods rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, and E and also minerals like iron and zinc can help with hair growth. For example, vitamin A contains retinoid, an ingredient that promotes healthy hair growth and impacts the hair cycle. Vitamin A-rich foods include broccoli, egg, spinach, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Adding extra protein to your diet: Eating foods rich in protein may help prevent hair loss since our hair follicles contain 95% of a protein known as keratin. Protein-rich foods include tofu, chicken breast, milk, lentils, etc.
Over-the-counter medicines are available for treating hair loss, the most common being minoxidil, also known as rogaine. Minoxidil is an FDA-approved medicine known to treat hair loss in people; it is considered safe and very effective. Other medications include finasteride, corticosteroid, etc.
- Maintaining hair care
A hair and scalp care routine is important for healthy hair and scalp.
- Keep your scalp clean by regularly washing your hair and scalp; this helps eliminate any product buildup and dirt.
- Avoid putting your hair through chemical treatments like straightening, smoothening, hair coloring, bleaching, etc., because the chemicals used for these treatments are harsh and can seriously damage your hair and scalp over time.
- Practice oiling your hair with oils like coconut or olive oil to maintain moisture and avoid hair breakage.
- Avoid hairstyles that pull your hair at the root, like tight ponytails or braids. This can lead to a receding hairline.